A good Roman Glass Trulla,
Roman Imperial Period, ca. 1st -2nd century CE
Free USA shipping
Free international shipping over $5,000
This high-quality trulla, or “pan,” of transparent pale blue/green glass, is in the form of a deep cup or bowl with the remains of an applied handle that tapers from the body of the vessel. There are two small, pinched projections on the broad side, where it attaches to the rim. Vessels of this shape usually date between 50 and 150 CE, and numerous examples have been found in Pompeii along with their metal counterparts. One example, in glass and decorated in cameo, was found at the House of the Tragic Poet in Pompeii. Later examples, coming mostly from the western Roman provinces like Belgium, are decorated with “snake thread” trailing. Trullae were often used as either ritual objects for libations or as drinking vessels and are sometimes referred to as paterae.
Reference: C. Isings, Roman Glass from Dated Finds, Groningen, 1957, no. 75; Corning Museum of Glass, no. 75; Louvre Museum, inv. LP 2180 N 5196; Harden et al, Glass of the Caesars, no. 58; Glaser der Antike, sammlung Oppenlander, Axel von Saldern, 1974, no. 557; p. 241; Romische Kleinkunst Sammlung Karl Loffler, P. La Baume and J.W. Salomoson, 1974, no. 232 (found at Krefeld-Gellep, Germany); Roman and Frankish Glass from France in the British Museum, D.B. Harden 1978, pl. no. 1.3; Le Collezioni del Museo Nazionale Di Napoli, 1986, no.45; Glass from the Ancient World, F.L. Higahi, 1991, no.21; Ancient Glass in the Hermitage Museum, N. Kunina, 1997, no. 202,
For a 3rd century CE glass trulla with snake-thread decoration see Harden et. al., Glass of the Caesars, number 58.
Condition: Incomplete, original handle missing but otherwise intact and in excellent condition overall. Presented on a custom acrylic mount.
Dimensions: Height: 2 3/8 inches (6 cm), Width: 5 3/4 inches (14.5 cm)
Provenance: Private collection of Ambassador Morris Draper ( 1928-2005) and Mrs Roberta Hornig Draper ( 1933-2021) acquired in Israel in the 1970s.
Ambassador Morris Draper, was a career diplomat and member of the State Department's Foreign Service for over 35 years. Ambassador Draper served the Department of State and the American people in diplomatic postings in the Near East, Europe, and East Asia, including as Consul General in Jerusalem and Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs. He was a key player in the Camp David Peace Accords and the Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty of 1979. From 1981-1983, he served as President Reagan's Special Middle East Envoy in negotiations regarding the withdrawal of foreign forces from Lebanon. In many ways our current efforts on behalf of a peaceful, sovereign, independent Lebanon build upon the work Ambassador Draper began over two decades ago.