An Egyptian Plaque with female in a shrine niche 600–275 BCE (ex museum)
Free USA shipping
Free international shipping over $5,000
Limestone or terracotta plaques showing women in the niche of an Egyptian-form shrine were popular from 600-275 BCE. Here, she is depicted with her arms at her sides and wearing a notched wig.
Such bobbed-haired voluptuous women with indented eyes and mouth, raised breasts, and a rounded stomach have a long history in the first millennium, but no precise identity. Small plaques like these are probably to be associated with the informal artworks distributed in conjunction with festivals celebrating a divine birth and fertility.
Reference: For the type see: Vandier "La Statuaire Egyptienne" (1958) and J.H.Breasted Jnr. "Egyptian Servant Statues" (Washington 1948)
Condition: Minor age-appropriate wear, intact and in good condition. Museum number in red and black on the back.
Dimensions: Height: 2.5 inches (6.35 centimeters)
Provenance: Donated to the Minneapolis Institute of Art in 1925 by Miss Lily S. Place, deaccessioned in 1958 through public auction. Dr W. B. Harer private collection, Washington, acquired in 1958.